Date: Friday 12 May 2017
Time: 20:30 - 22:30
Venue: Stratford East Picturehouse, Salway Road, London E15 1BX
Tickets: £5.00 + booking fee - Click here to book your place
The City Circle is proud to present InteGreat Britain: a season of independent British Documentaries all based around the themes of identity, race, immigration and integration. Come join us at the Stratford Picturehouse throughout the month of March as we plunge ourselves into some of these long-standing issues.
This compassionate and illuminating documentary probes the attitudes of Barking's white residents toward their new immigrant neighbours, characterised by unexamined (and often comic) prejudices about their dress, religious beliefs, and strange cooking smells. Isaacs is an unseen, but prominent, presence, questioning prejudices and prying at preconceptions with remarkable results to produce a vivid picture of the attitudes and preconceptions at the heart of an increasingly multicultural Britain.
Please note that this is a ticketed event: tickets are only available online in advance, so please book your place through Eventbrite.
Q&A with the Director, Marc Isaacs, will be held following the screening of The road: A story of life and death on Friday 19 May 2017.
InteGreat Britain is a film season being presented by City Circle to help explore answers to some of these questions:
- Why did our families choose to come here?
- What did they come to achieve?
- Did they envisage making Britain a permanent home or a temporary settlement?
- Have we played any role in helping to make Britain great?
- Have our contributions been positive or negative?
- What does it actually mean to be British?
- Why are we hated by so many? Why don’t they want us here?
You may also be interested in our other two film screenings:
- Blessed are the strangers - Friday 10 March 2017
- The road: A story of life and death - Friday 19 May 2017
Advance booking only. Please arrive promptly – screenings will start 10-15 minutes after the opening time, and there will be no entry after the film has begun. If you have any questions, please contact us: [email protected].